A friend posted a youtube video on Facebook today. It showed various children, alone or in groups of two, sitting at a table. Each child was given a single chocolate chip, and told that they could eat it whenever they wanted, but if they decided to wait they would be allowed to have the treat that was inside of a box. A ribbon adorned box was placed in front of them, next to the chocolate chip, then the children were left alone for five minutes. Most of the kids were able to wait. When the adult finally came back into the room and told them they could have the treat in the box, they opened it to find a cupcake decorated with frosting and sprinkles. Cute, right? Yay kids! Good job waiting for five minutes to get that cupcake!
Then the screen went dark, and text appeared on the screen. The text said something to the effect of how waiting till marriage to procreate is like this, but with a much better reward than a cupcake.
My heart fell.
Is this video claiming to all those who watch it that my baby is worth less than a baby born to parents who are already married? Am I supposed to believe that I am getting a chocolate chip level child instead of a lavishly decorated cupcake child?
Is the video telling us that my relationship with my darling Lumberjack is lesser than others because we aren't married yet? Is this relationship and healthily growing baby really a much smaller blessing than if I would have stayed in my previous marriage and had a baby with him?
It better not be, because that is all so untrue, I can hardly stand it.
The relationship I am in is healthy. I am cherished, and I cherish him. I am constantly supported and pushed to do my best, to be my best, and I think I do the same for him. We work together and are a team.
Obviously this is not the situation for everyone, but not all marriages are perfect picnics either. I know that first hand. Not all marriages are healthy and filled to the brim with blessings.
Everyone's situation is unique to them. Every relationship and life is unique, so how is it that we could possibly feel it's okay to put such a huge blanket judgment over everyone we come into contact with?
Is the video saying that my dear, beloved Heavenly Father loves me, the Lumberjack, and our baby, but only with a chocolate chip kind of love? Because I know that's not true. I have been blessed beyond measure. My life is blessed. This baby is a blessing, I have absolutely no doubt. The relationship I'm in is a blessing. Not a chocolate chip blessing, but the most glorious of all cupcakes. A full cake even, with layers and fancy fillings and delicious creamy frosting. It's not perfect, because I'm not perfect. The Lumberjack isn't either, despite what I sometimes believe. We have our flaws, but we have parts that glisten and shine too. You, reader, have flaws. But oh how you shine! We all do. You shine in a different way than I do, but your shine is in no way less brilliant, and the other way around. We have to work and push ourselves every day to keep shining and sparkling in whatever way we see fit, and along the way we will get tarnished and dinged up, but as long as we keep trying, we will succeed. Life is beautiful. You are beautiful. You are a cupcake. Your life is a cupcake. Or a full sized cake. What ever sort of sweet dessert you want to use in this silly analogy. You are not a single, lonely chocolate chip.
And I'm done, I think. I hope it all made sense. Congratulations and thank you for reading! You're too kind!
Amen and AMEN!! I struggle with this sometimes too!!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said Heather! Love you much and I'm so glad you are happy and everything is going so well for you. {Hugs}
ReplyDelete