Monday, July 7, 2014

Life, Right Now


I was talking to one of my dear, dear friends recently. He and I always have pretty good discussions and vent sessions when we get together. This time, we talked about how we grow up with an idea of what life will be like once we become "adults" (I'm not an adult yet, am I?) and how often it seems that that idea ends up being not at all correct. Growing up I just assumed I would finish high school (check.), start college (check.) fall in love and get married, then have babies. My friend agreed that he too had had an idea of how life would turn out for him, and it was pretty similar to mine. Mission, marriage, babies, happily ever after.

But here we both are, along with a few of my other friends, mid twenties, and our life assumptions not quite correct.

I am turning twenty six this fall, and I'm divorced. No babies, which is absolutely a blessing at this point in time,  but still, my heart aches a little bit for that part of life. Not how the little teenager version of me thought life would pan out at all.

Obviously I still have plenty of time. So does that aforementioned friend. It's just kind of an interesting thought that people can be similar ages and in such different places. Focused on careers, focused on education, raising a baby with one on the way, or even divorced and absolutely clueless.

I have to remind myself of this weekly, but those different places in life are all okay. None are wrong. People are unique and so are their lives. Life decisions lead to various places, and as long as we each try to be the very best version of ourselves that we can, we are going to be alright.

I'm sure you guys have caught on, but I'm dating the Lumberjack, and have been for a bit. I never thought I'd be in the situation to say I have a boyfriend again, the term reminds me of weird and confusing times in high school, but that's where my life has taken me and I'm not complaining one bit. He's absolutely terrific. I'm going to slightly brag about him for a second. He never scolds me. This is a huge deal. That was basically what my marriage consisted of. Scolding and ordering around, that's not what I'm here to talk about, though. He goes out of his way to make me so happy, from big things like the camper (still so excited about that) and mowing my lawn to small things like buying orange juice or candy bars for me, or making biscuits and gravy for dinner, or not being totally weirded out when I come over to his apartment and scrub his bathroom sink, because hellooo hard water + a bachelor who isn't too concerned about stuff like that.

This relationship is healthy and happy, supportive and uplifting, and exactly how relationships should be, I think. We've had little disagreements and upsets, but instead of fighting, we talk about things and are both quick to apologize and try a little harder. It feels so good. This place I'm at in life, though most of the time I really have no clue what I'm doing, is so positively splendid you guys!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you Heather! You seem so much happier and full of life! Love you, and I'm always here to talk! :)

    ReplyDelete